# #
# #
09 Jul 2018

USA Aviation Industry Newsletter 9 July

Biman Bangladesh Airlines eyes New York flights with incoming B787s Biman Bangladesh Airlines plans to resume flights from Dhaka to New York in coming months as four B787s are due to join the carrier's fleet, beginning with one in August and another in November 2018, followed by the remaining two in September 2019. The aircraft are part of a US$2.1 billion purchase agreement with Boeing from 2008, which included four previously delivered B777-300ERs and two B737-800s. Boeing and Embraer to Establish Strategic Aerospace Partnership to Accelerate Global Aerospace Growth Boeing and Embraer announced they have signed a Memorandum of Understanding to establish a strategic partnership that positions both companies to accelerate growth in global aerospace markets. The non-binding agreement proposes the formation of a joint venture comprising the commercial aircraft and services business of Embraer that would strategically align with Boeing's commercial development, production, marketing and lifecycle services operations. Under the terms of the agreement, Boeing will hold an 80% ownership stake in the joint venture and Embraer will own the remaining 20% stake. Boeing Unveils Concept for Hypersonic Airliner Boeing unveiled a new concept for its first passenger-carrying hypersonic airplane at the June 25 to 29 American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics conference in Atlanta. One of several hypersonic vehicle concepts spanning a wide range of potential applications under study by company engineers, the passenger vehicle could involve military or commercial applications. Engineers companywide are working to develop so-called “enabling technologies” aimed at preparing Boeing for a time markets show a readiness for hypersonic flight. Delta emphasizes customer comfort with first refreshed 777-200ER Delta has embarked on a full-fleet interior renovation of its 777 aircraft, with the first refreshed 777-200ER taking flight on 2nd July from Detroit (DTW) to Beijing (PEK) featuring the award-winning Delta One suites, the new Delta Premium Select cabin and the widest Main Cabin seats of Delta's international. The upgraded 777 design is part of Delta's multi-billion dollar investment in the overall customer experience. FAA Awards King Air 350ER Performance Upgrade STC Vector-Hawk Aerospace, a subsidiary of aftermarket upgrade provider Blackhawk Modifications, has teamed with Sierra Nevada Corporation (SNC) to earn an FAA STC for an engine improvement on the King Air 350ER. The Blackhawk XP67A Engine+ Upgrade STC kit for the turboprop twin improves the aircraft’s load carrying capability and horsepower output for special-mission applications. According to the companies, the modification will provide a 25 to 30 percent increase in power, which equates to improved climb and cruise performance, particularly under hot and high conditions. While the PT6A-67A will increase the thermodynamic shp by 400 over the stock PT6A-60A, the STC will reduce the weight of the aircraft by 18 pounds. U.S. MRO Trends Still Favor Outsourcing The top-ten U.S. passenger airlines notched up their outsourced share of maintenance spending 1% to 48% in 2017, according to FAA Form 41 data. Over the five years from 2012 through 2017, the outsourced share rose nearly 3% from 45% at the beginning of the period. Acumen Aviation © 9 July All Rights Reserved.
  • Acumen Aviation
  • Aircraft
  • Asset Management
  • Aviation